Monday, July 26, 2010

Works great and Smells good


HOMEMADE LAUNDRY DETERGENT -cost-$3 compared to $100+ with Tide

4 cups hot water
1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
2 cups washing soda
1 cup borax

The original recipe only calls for 1 cup washing soda and 1/2 cup of borax, but I really wanted to make sure it cleaned my clothes, so I added more.
- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water, stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
- Fill 5 gallon buck half full of hot water. Add melted soap, washing soda and borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with warm water. Stir and cover, let sit overnight to thicken.
*Now the Duggar family takes an empty laundry soap dispenser and fills it half with water and half with soap. I did this, but I did not feel it cleaned good enough, so I fill it all with the soap and no water.

You can also add essential oil to make it smell. It's about 10-15 drops per 2 gallons.

I use 1/3 cup of soap per load. ( have a front loader and soft water) You can make appr. 180 loads per 5 gallons.

You can also use ivory, sunlight, kirk's hardwater castle or zote soap. Just don't use heavily perfumed soaps, it can stain your clothes.


I LOVE it, and you will too! If you have any questions call me!

2 comments:

Janet said...

That sounds awesome. I totally want to try it. Where do you get the bar soap? Is the washing soda just baking soda? I can't wait to try it!

David and Stacey said...

I get all my ingred at Fry's. No, is is Arm and Hammer Washing Soda sold in the laundry detergent aisle- the Fels Naptha Bar should be there as well. You might have to call around to find the right stuff before you drive everywhere, that is what I did!